Investigate the basic building blocks of information and their characteristics
Computers are used to meet a variety of human needs. The many functions facilitated by the computer make it a multi-purpose tool. Society, however, has to be cautions of this advantages and disadvantages.
A common definition for ICT is Processing of data using the technologies of computing, electronics and telecommunications to disseminate information on clients in digital other forms .
Data is a collection of non formal meaningless ad disorganized items that are the basic fact about such things, persons, places, business activities and events that exist in unprocessed form. They are treated as raw material.
අවිධිමත් අර්ථ රහිත හා අසංවිධිත අංග සමූහයකි. දත්ත තොරතුරුවලට සාපේක්ෂව අමුද්රව්ය ලෙස පවතී.
Data can be expressed Data can be A set of numerical data can be processed in many ways as follows. Basically, Data Processing can be in two ways: Manual (හස්තමය) and Technological (තාක්ෂණිකමය). Technological processing is extremely fast, accurate and more reliable. Technology thus allows the highest value for information by giving rise to the field of Information Communication Technology.
Data can be expressed
Data can be
A set of numerical data can be processed in many ways as follows.
Basically, Data Processing can be in two ways: Manual (හස්තමය) and Technological (තාක්ෂණිකමය). Technological processing is extremely fast, accurate and more reliable. Technology thus allows the highest value for information by giving rise to the field of Information Communication Technology.
Information refers to the result obtained by processing data in a meaningful way. | Data arranged to be meaningful to a relevant individual, is called information. | Information is data that have been organized to provide a meaning and value to the recipient. | Information is the processed form of data that provides understandable and useful meaning for a person who receives it.
අදාළ පුද්ගලයෙකුට අර්ථවත් වන සේ සකස් කරන ලද දත්ත තොරතුරු නම් වේ.
Information must have a purpose and so, it must be available to someone who can use it. The relevance of information varies from person to person. For an average person, the fifth root of 100 may mean nothing, but it may very useful to scientist or a technologist.
- is meaningful
- is a surprise element
- is an action
- is an action motivator
- confirms and refreshes previous knowledge
- is considered an economics resource, somewhat on par with other resources as labor, material and capital
- Is an economic commodity which helps to stimulate the worldwide growth of a new segment of national economics – the information service sector
- can only be shared in transactions and not exchanged
- is relative
- Relevance/අදාළ බව
- Clarity/සුපැහැදිලි බව
- Completeness/පරිපූර්ණ බව
- Timeliness/කාලීන බව
- Accuracy/නිරවද්ය බව
- Make of communication/සන්නිවේදනය කළ හැකි බව
- Day-to-day routine work/දෛනික වැඩ කටයුතු
- Knowledge/දැනුම ලබා ගැනීම්
- Planning/සැලසුම් කිරීම්
- Forecasting/අනාවැකි සඳහා
The value of information depends on its relevance. Information has a great value the moment it is created or at the moment it is received. The value of information will be at a maximum at the moment the time approximates to zero. The value of information gradually diminishes with the passage of time till it is reverted to data. This is called the “Golden Rule of Information“.
තොරතුරු නිර්මාණය කරන මොහොතේ ම හෝ ඒවා ලැබෙන මොහොතේ ම එයට වැඩි වටිනාකමක් ඇත. කාලය ශුන්යයට ආසන්න වන අවස්ථාවේ දී තොරතුරුවල වටිනාකම උපරිම වේ. කාලය ගත වීමත් සමගම තොරතුරුවල වටිනාකම ක්රමයෙන් අඩු වී අවසානයේ දී ඒවා දත්ත බවට නැවත පත් වේ. මෙය තොරතුරු පිළිබඳව “ස්වර්ණමය න්යාය”ලෙස හැඳින්වේ.
The two terms “data“ and “information“ are often used as meaning the same thing. An important distinction, however, exists between them.
Investigate the need of technology to create, disseminate and manage data and information
- Data duplication
- Need for large physical space
Access to correct information speedily is important to increase the efficiency of modern human life.
- Marketing information is important for the purchase of goods and services for daily usage.
- Relevant information is important for the decision making related to the working place and profession.
- Information related to physicians and hospitals is needed to solve health issues.
- Weather reports are important for functioning of fishery, agriculture and masonry.
- A variety of information is important to make decisions of daily life.
- Educational information is important in education.
- Information related entertainment is important to plan leisure time (cinema, drama, music, sports, games, …)
- Transportation information such as time tables, seat reservation, traffic jam, destination and route is important.
Making life convenient . . .
- Online shopping
- E-banking, Tele-banking, Internet banking
- Government Information Centres (1919)
- Paying bills such as electricity, water, telephone
- Health information (channelling services)
Selects and classifies the basic components of a computer system
- When considering the copyright of software there are two things that have to be discussed.
- Copyrighted Software / හිමිකම් ආශ්රිත මෘදුකාංග
- Open Source Software (FOSS – Free & Open Source Software) / විවෘත මූලාශ්ර මෘදුකාංග
Analyses the activities of Data Processing Life Cycle
Computers are used and this is more reliable, accurate and extremely fast as compared to Manual Data Processing.
Also called Electronic Data Processing (EDP).This is useful to obtain the highest value of information using Technology.
- In computer science, data validation is the process of ensuring that a program operates on clean, correct and useful data.
- In evaluating the basics of data validation, generalizations can be made regarding the different types of validation, according to the scope, complexity, and purpose of the various validation operations to be carried out.
- Type check / වර්ග පරීක්ෂාව | Presence check / ඇති බව පරීක්ෂාව | Range check / පරාස පරීක්ෂාව
Investigates the use of ICT in different field of applications in organizations
Evaluate the Impact of ICT in the society
- In certain countries ICT assists indirectly in increasing production.
- In order to increase the task involving empowerment of production for the improvement of economic relations, both in the private and state sectors, ICT has been of assistance.
- Social and Economical / සමාජීය හා ආර්ථික