[Source : Dr. Subha Fernando, Dr.Eng, M.Eng, B.Sc. (Special) Hons. @ NIE AL ICT workshop 2014 ]
Explores new trends and future directions of ICT
Explores new trends and future directions in computing
Emotional Computing, What and Why?
- People talking back to a computer/smart-phone is common enough usually in a moment of frustration.
- Getting the computer to respond in kind is a far different task.
- The challenge is not of inventing new software or hardware, but to have ethics involved.
- If computers are to have emotional components, what role would they play in everyday life?
- Do human beings really want an emotional relationship with a mechanical mind?
The field is called Active Technology
- Today, machine prototypes exist that measure human emotional expression through physiological signals such as facial expressions and voice changes and allow a human-like response.
- Face Recognition and Applications.
- Voice Recognition and Applications.
- What is intelligence? Hard to dene unless you list some important characteristics, such as Reasoning, Learning, and Adaptivity.
- Machine intelligence is: computer which follows problem solving processes something like that in humans.
- Intelligent systems display machine-level intelligence,reasoning, often learning, and self-adapting.
- Articial neural networks are generally presented as systems of interconnected “neurons” which can compute values from inputs.
- Applications are in Finger Print Recognition, Face Recognition, Pattern Identification, etc.
- The basic concept of GAs is designed to simulate processes in natural system necessary for evolution, specically those that follow the principles rst laid down by Charles Darwin of survival of the fittest.
- As such they represent an intelligent exploitation of a random search within a dened search space to solve a problem.
- Applications are circuit/car design (http://rednuht.org/genetic_cars_2/), trafic controlling, path finding, etc.
- An expert system is made up of three parts:
- A user interface – This is the system that allows a non-expert user to query (question) the expert system, and to receive advice.
- A knowledge base – This is a collection of facts and rules. The knowledge base is created from information provided by human experts.
- An inference engine – This acts rather like a search engine, examining the knowledge base for information that matches the user’s query.
- Applications are medical diagnosis, fi nancial advice, discover locations to drill for water, vacation advisor (http://www.exsys.com/demomain.html) etc.
Artificial Intelligence Software vs. Conventional Software
- Conventional computer software follow a logical series of steps to reach a conclusion.
- Computer programmers originally designed software that accomplished tasks by completing algorithms.
- AI software uses the techniques of search and pattern matching.
- Programmers design AI software to give the computer only the problem, not the steps necessary to solve it.
Artificial Intelligence (Pros & Cons)
- Ability to simulate human behavior and cognitive processes (Intuition, Common sense, Judgment, Creativity, Beliefs etc).
- Capture and preserve human expertise.
- Fast Response.
- The ability to comprehend large amounts of data quickly.
- No common sense.
- Cannot readily deal with mixed knowledge.
- May have high development costs.
- Raise legal and ethical concerns.
The attempt is to improve the business by producing product or delivering services that t to consumer feelings, emotions, culture, profession, etc.
What is attractive?
It is three level of processing
- Reflective : Cerebral (use brains instead of hearts), emotive (expressing a person’s feelings)
- Behavioral : Common, and interact with the world
- Visceral : relating to deep inward feelings rather than to the intellect
Affective design's impact on usability?
Working with the three levels
- Visceral design : Appearance
- Behavioral : Pleasure and effectiveness of use
- Reflective : Self esteem and status
- Therefore coexistence means being or living together.
- Coexistence also has another connotation – peaceful coexistence.
- It means more than being in the same place at the same time, getting along with each other.