Investigate the Place of the Computer in the World of Information
Investigate the contribution of ICT towards national development
Computers are used to meet a variety of human needs. The many functions facilitated by the computer make it a multi-purpose tool. Society, however, has to be cautions of this advantages and disadvantages.
A common definition for ICT is Processing of data using the technologies of computing, electronics and telecommunications to disseminate information on clients in digital other forms.
A few instances where ICT is used currently are:
- ICT provides many opportunities for the users.
- Makes learning more interesting especially of hard-to-understand topics.
- Bridge distances – Ex. Using e-mail, phone, video conferencing etc.
- Breaks literacy barriers in communication – Ex use of video & radio.
- Helps research and information sharing – Ex use of Internet.
- Helps access information on jobs/internships.
- Creates new employment opportunities (via ICTs/with ICTs)
- Enhances interaction with peers over long distances.
- Creates entertainment opportunities (games, music, video)
- Provides more realistic information on life elsewhere.
- Provides educational information (distance learning)
- Provides health information, including information on sensitive issues.
Investigate the computer as a system for converting data into information
Data is a collection of non formal meaningless ad disorganized items that are the basic fact about such things, persons, places, business activities and events that exist in unprocessed form. They are treated as raw material.
Data can be expressed Data can be A set of numerical data can be processed in many ways as follows. Basically, Data Processing can be in two ways: Manual (හස්තමය) and Technological (තාක්ෂණිකමය). Technological processing is extremely fast, accurate and more reliable. Technology thus allows the highest value for information by giving rise to the field of Information Communication Technology.
Data can be expressed
Data can be
A set of numerical data can be processed in many ways as follows.
Basically, Data Processing can be in two ways: Manual (හස්තමය) and Technological (තාක්ෂණිකමය). Technological processing is extremely fast, accurate and more reliable. Technology thus allows the highest value for information by giving rise to the field of Information Communication Technology.
Information must have a purpose and so, it must be available to someone who can use it. The relevance of information varies from person to person. For an average person, the fifth root of 100 may mean nothing, but it may very useful to scientist or a technologist.
- is meaningful
- is a surprise element
- is an action
- is an action motivator
- confirms and refreshes previous knowledge
- is considered an economics resource, somewhat on par with other resources as labor, material and capital
- Is an economic commodity which helps to stimulate the worldwide growth of a new segment of national economics – the information service sector
- can only be shared in transactions and not exchanged
- is relative
- Relevance/අදාළ බව
- Clarity/සුපැහැදිලි බව
- Completeness/පරිපූර්ණ බව
- Timeliness/කාලීන බව
- Accuracy/නිරවද්ය බව
- Make of communication/සන්නිවේදනය කළ හැකි බව
- Day-to-day routine work/දෛනික වැඩ කටයුතු
- Knowledge/දැනුම ලබා ගැනීම්
- Planning/සැලසුම් කිරීම්
- Forecasting/අනාවැකි සඳහා
The value of information is determined on the basis of its relevance. The moment you create or receive information, it has a great value but this drops rapidly with time. This leads to a very important rule called the “Golden Rule” / “ස්වර්ණමය නීතිය” of information. It states that the highest value of information occurs at time zero.
The two terms “data“ and “information“ are often used as meaning the same thing. An important distinction, however, exists between them.
Explores the evolution of computers to identify its major developments
|Third||1959-71||Integrated Circuit /IC|